#wishtrender: Mehdi of @thejipdori, Meet our New Host on Wishtrend TV
by Gina Myung on Sep 15, 2020
"Being the best version of yourself!"
• Please shortly introduce yourself for us!I was born and raised in Paris, France and I’m of Algerian descent. I’m based in Seoul and I’m currently writing my thesis while trying to stay sane. Skincare and eating my weight in cake are amongst the things that definitely help.
• This year has been filled with ups and downs - how has 2020 been for you?I’ve been doing great actually! I’m super grateful to be privileged, which allows me to enjoy my twenties, take baby steps and enjoy life as it comes. I’ve always been very good at keeping myself happy and busy, and although online classes are not the easiest, there’s people out there who have been hit by COVID in so many different ways. It made me focus on what I had and what I could do instead of what I didn’t have and couldn’t do.
• Moving to Korea is a big commitment. What made you decide to move, and how is it so far?At quite a young age I had already obtained my master’s degree, entered the professional world and I was quite… bored? I thought that pushing my studies even further while learning about a new culture and language would be a good way to press reset and challenge myself. I think I definitely made the right choice. Korea isn’t paradise - I feel like a lot of people romanticize it. It takes a lot of effort. You will deal with hardship, but Korea is still very precious to me as it brought me wonderful opportunities and amazing friends.
• What first sparked your interest in beauty and skincare?I actually had various phases oscillating between flawless skin and very very troubled skin. So, when I was about 16 I remember being told by the dermatologist treating my severe acne that I absolutely needed sunscreen. I thought it was something only to be worn when going to the beach! At the time, sunscreens in France didn’t have very elegant formulations so I looked into Korean sunscreens and bought my first K-Beauty item and looked into different products to take care of my skin!• What’s your skincare philosophy?You do you! It’s very nice to seek advice, but in the end I feel like you (and your dermatologist!) know your skin better than anyone. Different days and different needs. As much as I can go full on spa mode, I can also just wake up, apply sunscreen and call it a day! Listen to your skin.
• What does your day-to-day skincare routine look like?These days I wake up and rinse my face with water only. At night I double cleanse with the Banila Co cleansing balm and Krave Beauty Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser. The Paula’s Choice 2% BHA has been keeping my pores clear and my sebum regulated. I then go with the By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 15% with Ferulic Acid as my antioxidant and use the Innisfree Soybean Energy Essence for brightening. After that, I use the ISOI Bulgarian Rose Blemish Care Serum. It’s also brightening, but honestly, I use it mostly because it smells so good. My day moisturizer is the Molecular Multi Nutrient Day Cream by Allies of Skin, and for night I use their Retinal & Peptides Overnight Mask. Of course, in the morning I don’t go out without sunscreen.
• Please give us the scoop on your top 5 fav products!The hardest question… 5 is too little! I’ll cheat and mention five products that I didn’t mention on the Wishrenders, We Got You livestream with Eunice!
- ✓ PSA Skin Heroine Toner: I’m big on chemical exfoliants and this one is gentle enough so I can use it often.
- ✓ ISOI Bulgarian Rose Blemish Care Serum: I’m obsessed with everything that smells like roses and this serum is not only brightening but a sensorial experience as well.
- ✓ Krave Beauty Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser: One of the gentlest cleansers I’ve ever tried - my skin loves it.
- ✓ Allies of Skin Retinal & Peptides Overnight Mask: The easiest and most moisturizing way to incorporate vitamin A in your routine.
- ✓ Laroche Posay Anthelios Shakafluid Sunscreen: Milky, no whitecast and great UVAPF!